Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Artist connects to the spiritual world?



Mr. Torvald: Well, you're an artist and ArTiSTS FEELS Things DIFFERENTLY than regular people. Look at Patsy Cline or Billie Holiday. You can Hear IT in their VOICE. Or, Vincent van Gogh. Cut off his ear, but hey, he could paint.
Terri Fletcher: Vincent van Gogh killed himself.
Mr. Torvald: That's right. That's a bad example. Hey, I'm a music teacher not a shrink. What do you want? I guess... what I'm trying to say is, ArTISTS Convey EMOTION. They make an audience feel what they're feeling. You know, that's what it's all about, right? You just have to find a way to take what's in HERE
[Points to his head]
Mr. Torvald: and put it in HERE
[points to his heart]

**scene from Raise Your Voice*



Guru: Musician's expression is one of the most climatic images. How does that come about?

Chang: As a lady in my youth, of course I would like to show myself in the best light.
But once I'm on stage I don't get a chance to think about it. As soon as I step up, the most important thing is to lose my inner self.

It's like I have to LeT GO of My WHoLE EXisTeNCE to perform GReaT MuSiC. [possibly be another way of phrasing >.<]

My mind is completely concentrated on the music, not what my fingers or face is doing. And I don't want to know. Cuz if I do, I'd lose THat LiNK where I become ONE with MUSIC.

I'm there as a CHaNNel WhERe MUSIC FLoWS THRouGh~


"Han Na Chang wanted to open the pathway toward her knowledge of music to the audience"


Guru:Wow! It's not something that people can easily grasp, is it?
Chang:Think of of moment when you're having SO MuCH FUN and you're so into it that you don't know where all the time has gone. Oblivious to time, oblivious to your surroundings.

Han Na Chang (장한나)

"South Korean cellist, one of the most sought-after cellists in the world today and considered one of the most important musicians of her generation." (wikipedia)
** from Korean talk show "황금어장" (tr: Gold Fish)



2 comments:

  1. Whoa is this a post from the past or have I missed this since Sept?

    Do you play an instrument? Just curious if you have ever lost yourself in playing music

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha nah been meaning to post it up but never got around to it .. (translation takes some time ^^;;)

    played the flute ..like ages ago XD but think i only concentrated on the notes, not the 'message' of the music. =p

    ReplyDelete